Thursday, April 12, 2007

Global Warming

I've been wanting to write about this, but I haven't really been sure how to bring it up. Since I've been blogging my quiet times, I thought that I'd see what God says about our stewardship of the Earth in the Bible. This will probably be a bit of an ongoing thing. I want to start with my opinion of global warming. Honestly, I don't care. I think there are other problems in this world that need to be taken care of. I don't think that God will let us destroy the earth. That's ultimately His job. However, all that said, I do believe that we need to take care of the earth. God knew what direction we would go with our natural resources, and I believe that He made provisions for that. I do not support any extremes. I think that we need to find balance. Obviously, we can't just stop using cars or airplanes, and hybrid cars aren't the most cost-effective alternative either. (Talk to my husband about that!) It wouldn't hurt to make smarter decisions and conserve. I'm not saying this is going to solve all of the world's problems, but it would help. There is a lot of waste in this country. Our lifestyles are spiraling out of control, and we need more and more.

I Corinthians 10:23-24 - You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is helpful. You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--by not everything is beneficial. Don't think only of your own good. Think of other Christians and what is best for them.

Psalm 24:1 - The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it. The world and all its people belong to him.

Job 38:4-13, 31-38 - " 'Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much. Do you know how its dimensions were determined and who did the surveying? What supports its foundations, and who laid its cornerstone as the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy? Who defined the boundaries of the sea as it burst from the womb, and as I clothed it with clouds and thick darkness? For I locked it behind barred gates, limiting its shores. I said, "Thus far and no farther will you come. Here your proud waves must stop!" Have you ever commanded the morning to appear and caused the dawn to rise in the east? Have you ever told the daylight to spread to the ends of the earth, to bring an end to night's wickedness?' "
" 'Can you hold back the movements of the stars? Are you able to restrain the Pleiades or Orion? Can you ensure the proper sequence of the seasons or guide the constellation of the Bear with her cubs across the heavens? Do you know the laws of the universe and how God rules the earth? Can you shout to the clouds and make it rain? Can you make lightning appear and cause it to strike as you direct it? Who gives intuition and instinct? Who is wise enough to count all the clouds? Who can tilt the water jars of heaven, turning the dry dust to clumps of mud?' "

God not only made the earth, but He also continues to care for it. The verse in Corinthians tells me that just because something is allowed doesn't mean that it's necessarily good or right. It depends on the situation. We can move earth around to suit our needs and desires, but that doesn't mean we should always do that. New stores are built, leaving old stores empty. These verses give me something to chew on today.

Dear God, I praise you for your might and power to control the earth. We are still learning so much about how the world works, and You know it all already. You wrote the scientific laws that hold the world together. You are wonderful, more wonderful than I even know! God, thank you for your boundless love. You meet us where we are and keep calling us. The vastness of Your patience is unknown to me. God, please protect our soldiers overseas. Guide our leaders in government to know Your will for our country. Thank you for listening to me and answering my prayer! Amen.

No comments: